Monday, November 1, 2021

How formal are Israelis?

(Last update: November 2, 2021) 


I have just discovered a thought-provoking comment on the internet about Israelis. I share this comment with you because most of my American friends do not often have good things to say about Israelis. This comment appears to suggest a different view of Israeli behavior. Perhaps you will find it insightful.

It seems that Americans visiting here are too often offended by Israelis. It's possible that this internet comment could help some to re-think the negative reactions they have had to Israelis. 

The comment itself comes from a question posted on a website called, Quora. PersonallyI would not call this particular site "high class". In fact, if you were to tell me this site is decidedly not "high class"--or, alternatively, not particularly trustworthy--I would agree. Nevertheless, this individual comment may be different. It might suggest that 'offensive' Israeli behavior might be explainable as something other than, 'offensive'. Maybe.  

I present this comment to you for your consideration. The comment appeared as a response to a reader question. The question was, "Are Israelis formal?" 

This was the response:  



"How formal are Israelis?

Let me put it this way . . .

As an American, many, many years ago, and new to Israel, I had lodged a complaint against an employer for something . . . can’t remember what . . . but when I arrived at the Labor Court wearing a suit and tie, ( in respect for the court ) the judge ignored me completely. Never asked me a question, and only addressed the employer’s attorney. It was as if I didn’t exist.

Hmmmmm . . . . ?

I looked around the court at the other plaintiffs, with whom the judge did speak . . . and it dawned on me !

After that, any time I had to go to court, I dressed in old jeans and t-shirt, didn’t shave and generally chewed gum.

Never had a problem after that . . . . and won every decision.

Formal ? Not on your life ! :-)"



My comments about this 'article' are brief:


First, this comment is not the definitive description of how Israelis behave. Many Israelis are polite and friendly. But there does seem to be a lot of Israelis appearing to behave like Arsim. Arsim--a derogatory word said to derive from an Arab word meaning, "pimp"--seem to be everywhere in Israel. They are almost never liked by Americans.


In general, Israeli arsim can be characterized as "uncouth+". Depending on whom you ask, Arsim can be defined as: they are inconsiderate; they do not care for even the most basic of social niceties; they litter everywhere; more so than other Israelis, they refuse to stand in line; they are sloppy; they often wear the most inappropriate clothes; they enjoy cursing other drivers on the road; they are known for inappropriate social aggressiveness; they are said to hate anyone not like them, particularly foreigners; they are insolent; they appear to act as if they have an IQ of 10. They generally do not show up to court wearing a suit and tie. 


Israel's social culture has evolved. While Israel has never been particularly 'formal', recent life here seems to have been heavily influenced by arsim. I do not know why. But I can say this: there are times when Israelis appears to become ruder and cruder by the month.


The US is no different. Since my birth, almost 79 years ago, I spent the better part of my life in the US watching social niceties deteriorate. Crudeness has set in. Rudeness has set in. Some form of Israel's arsisim seems now to be part of American behavior.


Perhaps one moral lesson of this internet comment is, American-born-and-raised Israelis should not walk into an Israeli court dressed like an American. It might not make a good impression. 

An Israeli judge might ignore them. These Americans would look strange—and be treated accordingly.

But there is another, larger moral lesson here. It is the moral lesson that suggests that, as we draw closer to our Final Redemption, our children will become increasingly insolent. Well, from what I see almost daily, we must now be very, very close to that Redemption.

What do you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment